View Single Post
Old July 15 2013, 06:30 PM   #1810
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

The Dany hatred has nothing to do with her in-universe character flaws, and almost entirely stems from her writing in ADWD, where she acts nothing like she did in the previous books, and is given an excruciatingly tedious stay at Meereen. She easily ranks as the least liked major character by fans after the last book.

I count the troika of Stannis/Melisandre/Davos as one of my favourite things about ASOIAF. Dunno how anybody couldn't love 'em. However, on Westeros there are a lot of Stannis fans that act like retarded meatheads. They white-wash the character to a ridiculous extent, claiming him as a "hero to all men" and all sorts of other nonsense. I love Stannis because he's complicated and well-written. His black-and-white sense of justice is obviously not a desired means of government however, and the comedy of errors he had with the wildlings was hilarious. I love how he considers Val to be a princess.

The only king I'd follow in real life would be Mance Rayder. He's somebody that became a leader through skill and respect, not a family bloodline.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote