View Single Post
Old July 14 2013, 08:09 PM   #69
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Re: 2013 NBA Offseason Thread...

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
So far, I like this new Warriors Management. They lose Jack and Landry, but get Speights (Who admittedly I don't know much about) and the big signing was Andre Igudala. Not only that, but David Lee is still on the team after the Dwight Howard saga. It is nice when a team that you follow finally makes some big moves in the offseason to get better and look on paper to be one of the best teams in the Western Conference. Yeah you can't ignore teams like the Thunder, Grizzlies, Spurs, and even the Clippers, but I can see the Warriors getting into either the top 4 or no lower than 5 next season.
I couldn't disagree more. I think Speights' numbers are are inflated for playing on a bad team. Landry and Jack weren't just key to the bench last season, they were there at the end of games and not re-signing them does one thing: It puts more pressure on Thompson, Lee (injuries), and Curry (injury problems) to be there every game with superhuman performances. Harrison Barnes moves to the bench. They don't need Iguodala and it will stunt his growth playing sixth man, making it more likely he walks when he can. Iggy can't hit the outside shot. He's primarily a slasher and with David Lee and Andrew Bogut clogging the lane, it will be difficult to get spacing. I watched a lot of Golden State last season. They are a jump-shooting team and now they have 3 starters that aren't great jump shooters. I think it was good to get rid of the contracts they did in the Utah deal. But as a Golden State Warriors fan, I am unhappy with this offseason.

And you casually throw the Clippers in there? That backcourt is amazing. Jared Dudley is a great upgrade over Caron Butler. They have a deep frontcourt as well. They can rebound from every position on the floor. They spread the floor and have length to defend. Blake Griffin holds up, pencil them into the Conference Finals.

And you put Memphis in the contending category? They have no perimeter game. They get bogged down in the paint and no one can hit more than an open three. And they go for long stretches where even that's not possible, especially if it's not wide-open. They were exposed last season. They relied too heavily on Prince and Bayless to break that up and that is why San Antonio shredded them. Take away one of the bigs (Zach Randolph is a shell of himself) and watch them lose by 15 points in a playoff game. They beat a Thunder team without Russell Westbrook, and needed to come back in the series to do it. Blake Griffin doesn't get hurt, they don't make it out of the first round. I love the Grizzlies, but they suck. They won't be making another run like that. They will pay for giving up OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay and letting their coach walk.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote