Old July 14 2013, 03:23 PM   #40
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile
Re: The Ashes 2013

England 215 & 375
Australia 280 & 296 (110.5 ov)
England won by 14 runs.

I reckon that would be the first test I have seen where more intelligent use of the DRS system won the game. It was that tight - what a classic.

I really feel for Haddin, I was sure he would get us over the line when Anderson limped off at lunch, but it was not to be, with the champion coming out after lunch and finishing Australia off. I wonder what impact that spell (13 overs straight ), will have on him heading into the next test in just four days. All bets are off if you lose Anderson to a niggle, you would be stuffed without him .

Losing a game like that definitely sucks, but the good news is that Australia are going to be more competitive than I expected.

It won't happen, but if we could just swallow our pride and add Katich for the second test, and bring in Bird somewhere, we are really in business for this series.

England aren't the side of two seasons ago in Australia. Bairstow did not look convincing at all, the jury is out on Root, Swann bowls plenty of four-balls these days and Finn looks mentally shot. The hosts look far from invincible - this really should be a great series from here.

Anyway, that was a cracking game, well played to both teams. Now : to sleep for more than four hours for the first time in a week
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote