View Single Post
Old July 14 2013, 03:21 PM   #35
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

Re: George Lucas: Star Wars stood on the shoulders of Star Trek

I absolutely love the original SW trilogy but I am one of those people who hate what the blockbuster did to film. I am also not happy about the over reliance on special effects and marketing to the teenage audience. Yes there are still good movies but film in general has been dumbed down in my opinion.

I am not going to blame Lucas for this (because like I said I do love Star Wars) but nor am I going to say Star Wars is the best thing to happen to film. In my opinion it is definitely not.

It is nice to see Lucas acknowledge Star Trek though. I always felt the whole Star Wars Vs Star Trek thing was beyond stupid. Both are great in their own way and I love characters from both. Star Trek as a successful TV franchise might have helped pave the way for Star Wars and at the same time Star Wars helped pave the way for the Star Trek movie franchise.

Needless to say no "sci-fi" visual media franchise has come close to topping these two.

edit: Also not sure if I want to praise Lucas for the whole "digital film" thing because I am not sure if digital is actually better but that is a whole other can of worms.

Last edited by Kinokima; July 14 2013 at 04:20 PM.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote