View Single Post
Old July 14 2013, 03:33 AM   #32
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: I'd Pay to See Kathryn Bigelow Direct Wonder Woman - Would You?

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
I must agree that the genre is getting a tad played out in its current iterations on film
Well, I must not agree. In the past three years, we've had X-Men: First Class, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man, and Iron Man 3 - all first-rate flicks. Sure, there've been some disappointments also (Green Lantern, TDKR, MOS), but, financially speaking, only GL was a box-office failure. I can easily rattle off more would-be top-tier non-superhero flops: Cowboys and Aliens, John Carter, Battleship, White House Down, Lone Ranger... There may come a time to say that the superhero genre (to the extent that it even is a genre) needs fresh blood, but from both creative and business perspectives, now is not at all that time.

Indeed, what's really remarkable is the fact that there's not one high-profile, A-list-fueled rom-com on the docket all year... but something tells me this Susan Wloszczyna won't soon be writing a piece on how male voices ought to swoop in and rescue that flailing genre.

Don't get me wrong; I'd be all for superhero movies starring and/or directed by women, but to say that the genre needs "rescuring", as Wloszczyna does, is that feminist's wishful thinking. (And the suggestion that Sofia Coppola might ever sign on for a superheroine movie on terms a major studio could agree to is downright farcical! )
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote