View Single Post
Old July 14 2013, 12:09 AM   #61
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Re: [spoiler], Harrison, or Tonto [spoilers]

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
And in both Khan is nothing more than a Bwahaha villain. There are no real questions asked or answers given.
I think you're right that answers aren't given and that a lot of it is a vehicle for the action, but I disagree that there weren't questions asked or at least ideas presented in a way that you might think about them. I didn't get any of that from Khan's situation in STID. And don't get me wrong, I thought this movie gave a lot more to think about than most of the other Star Trek movies, it's just that none of it really had to do with Khan, which was surprising to me given some of the fantastic things surrounding him.
In both Space Seed and ID, Khan is almost sympathetic, until he goes "full augment". We feel for him because he's being blackmailed and used as a weapon by Marcus. We can see why, in another Universe Scotty, (and Kirk) might admire him. Of course, Marcus underestimated Khan and Kirk falls for some of Khan's rhetoric, and that goes back to theme of superior man and superior ambition.