View Single Post
Old July 13 2013, 11:56 PM   #60
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Re: [spoiler], Harrison, or Tonto [spoilers]

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
You're unhappy that selective breeding wasn't mentioned in ID, when it was retconned into genetic engineering in WoK.
Uh, no. I'm not "unhappy" at all. I was just pointing out that it wasn't mentioned, and that's all. Your attempts to go, "BUT BUT TWOK DID IT" are both futile and perplexing here. I'm content with Nerys Myk's explanation for what he meant by it, so there's no need to go on one of those typical comparison crusades.

Oh?

KIRK: Who the hell are you?

KHAN: A remnent of a time long passed. Genetically engineered to be superior so as to lead others to peace in a world at war. But we were condemned as criminals, forced into exile. For centuries we slept, hoping when we awoke that things would be different.

That's Khan Noonien Singh, not Nero, Shinzon, The Borg Queen, Kruge, The Joker, Zod, Lex Luthor or anyone else.
All of that is just meaningless exposition. It serves the story in no way. It relates to the main theme in no way. It doesn't do anything for Kirk. It didn't do anything for me.

WoK wasn't about genetic engineering or any other sci-fi concept, it was about a madman wanting revenge.
Ok, so they could've done a story about a madman wanting revenge, but that's not how they approached it, and that was my whole point. They approached it by first combing through the original series and trying to find a villain to work with, and then expanding from there. They weren't trying to write a story first and then slap a character on top.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
And in both Khan is nothing more than a Bwahaha villain. There are no real questions asked or answers given.
I think you're right that answers aren't given and that a lot of it is a vehicle for the action, but I disagree that there weren't questions asked or at least ideas presented in a way that you might think about them. I didn't get any of that from Khan's situation in STID. And don't get me wrong, I thought this movie gave a lot more to think about than most of the other Star Trek movies, it's just that none of it really had to do with Khan, which was surprising to me given some of the fantastic things surrounding him.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote