View Single Post
Old July 13 2013, 11:38 PM   #167
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Re: The ENT and Melakon

2:02 - Carbon Creek

TV Blurb: Archer, Trip, and T'Pol share a bottle of booze while she entertains them. Teleplay by Chris Black; Story by Rick Berman & Brannon Braga and Dan O'Shannon. Directed by James Contner.

We don't know where Phlox, Malcolm, Travis, and Hoshi are during all this, but I suspect they were having a lot more fun.

It really is a well done episode, with fine performances, and the story it tells is sweet, but it doesn't tell us much at all about our regular characters. The episode feels like a style exercise to me more than anything else, and Star Trek always did little experiments like this. And it's another long flashback story, which I'm not fond of.

The script is really a showcase for Jolene Blalock and Trekguest J. Paul Boehmer. There are dozens of references to the 1950s, including "I Love Lucy" and The Three Stooges, whom Lucille Ball herself had worked with early in her career.

I liked the episode for the story it tells, but it really doesn't seem to introduce anything important to the Star Trek universe. Despite T'Pol's story of Vulcans on Earth a century before Zefrem Cochrane's historic flight, it appears to be simply that: a story. There's even an epilogue of sorts, but it doesn't really answer the question of whether T'Pol's yarn has any truth in it.

But it is a very well done episode, with fine direction by James Contner, location shooting, and some good performances from the guest and supporting cast.

Season's outtakes include Blalock getting goofy during a ship shaking scene.

Next: "Minefield"

Last edited by Ho Ho Homeier; July 13 2013 at 11:50 PM.
Ho Ho Homeier is online now   Reply With Quote