View Single Post
Old July 13 2013, 09:18 PM   #35
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: POLL: Babylon 5 or Stargate SG-1?

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
How is there not a page for Shadowman on Wikipedia? Amazing.
Isn't this the Shadowman page on Wikipedia?

Dick_Valentine wrote: View Post
I have a similar question when I watch both series:

Was Jesus a Vorlon?

Was Jesus a Goa'uld?
I'd have loved to see Kosh answer that question! Then, I'd love to see JMS, who is an Atheist, answer it. Despite (or perhaps because) of his Atheism, I feel that Babylon 5 is one of the most respectful sci-fi shows when it comes to religion. I often share how I connected to the show in the episode "TKO," when Ivanova's Rabbi comes to visit. After years of Star Trek and it's "We're too evolved for Religion," viewpoint, it was nice to see a show that acknowledged we're probably not going to eliminate religion in the next 200-300 years.

I also really liked the bits we got about Foundationalism. It makes sense a religion would spring up after we found out we were not alone in the universe. I also like how it takes bits from various religions and combines them.

I guess both series had bills to pay, they couldn't state anything directly.
But it's funny having them both imply every other religion was aliens messing around with us......all but...one.
I don't feel either show did that. It's been a while, but, I think the Goa'uld took on characteristics of the gods that were already existing.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote