View Single Post
Old July 13 2013, 06:47 PM   #76
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Re: What does 'nu' mean?

Christopher wrote: View Post
I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Something like 'the Abramsverse' or simply 'the Abrams era'?

Or maybe the Bad Robot era.
I've addressed this several times already. The new continuity is currently being produced by Abrams and Bad Robot. We don't know if that will always be the case. After all, anything that anyone creates in the Trek universe is ultimately the property of CBS, so other creators can use it in future productions. Filmation Associates produced the animated series, but the Paramount-produced sequel shows were able to mention names and concepts from it ("Unification" referenced "Yesteryear," DS9 used TAS's name for Kor's 23rd-century warship, etc.) By the same token, Bad Robot is producing the current Trek movies, but it doesn't own them. CBS and Paramount share the copyright and CBS holds all the trademarks. (Which actually puts Bad Robot in a lesser position than Filmation, since Filmation actually did hold a copyright to TAS along with Roddenberry's Norway Productions. But Filmation no longer exists and Roddenberry sold Norway's Trek rights to Paramount sometime between TAS and TMP.)
*waits for the dust from dry and pointless facts to settle*

Christopher wrote: View Post
So it's entirely possible that at some point in the future, someone other than Bad Robot will produce films or TV series set in the Nero-created timeline. So I'd prefer a name that doesn't specify any given creator or production company, something that's just about the timeline itself and its content or its relationship to the others.
And your preferred name would be?

*crickets*

I think either nuTrek or JJTrek will stick for at least the two recent movies.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote