View Single Post
Old July 13 2013, 05:57 PM   #402
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post

Nonsense. Maybe you don't think marriage should involve government benefits, but it does, it always will, and it's not just about the government rewarding "good behavior." So no, gays don't have the same basic rights as everyone else, and I'm not even bringing up issues not purely involving marriage such as hospital visitation, adoption, etc.

It's very convenient to decide that government shouldn't have a role in marriage only at the moment that another group wants equal access to it and the benefits it brings.
not all arguments that say that there's a reason that heterosexual marriage should be privileged by the government are incoherent, hypocritical, or based on prejudice. You could say that the whole REASON that marriage involves government benefits was because government wanted to encourage stable relationships that lead to procreation. And the "not all heterosexual marriages lead to procreation, so that's b.s." no more invalidates the CONCEPT of why governments do it than the "some people use spoons to hang from their nose as a trick" means that spoons aren't meant to be eating utensils.

I don't really have a dog in the fight. I'm not gay, I support gay rights and I think society's verdict on gay marriage is in, I just don't think that ALL arguments against gay marriage are a result of bigotry.

(although to be clear, a lot are. OSC's certainly seems to be.)
That's fascinating. It has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote, but fascinating nonetheless.

your post and his addressed marriage and government benefits as a result of it. It is not my problem if reading comprehension is a weakness of yours.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote