Thread: The Ashes 2013
View Single Post
Old July 13 2013, 08:37 AM   #20
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Re: The Ashes 2013

I'm almost beginning to wonder if India have a point about the DRS (not something I ever imagined I've ever think or type). My understanding is that it was introduced to (at best) eliminate or (at worst) greatly minimise the sort of howler we saw overnight, but instead it seems to be employed to adjudicate line-ball lbws and to produce the sort of decision we saw the day before. How the hell Trott could possibly have been given out is beyond my ability to comprehend. The fact the third umpire is powerless to do anything about the sort of situation Dar found himself in is absurd, but there it is.

To compound the stupidity, former England captain Nasser Hussein apparently described Broad's decision not to walk as "courageous". I'm sure an Australian who did likewise would be described as gutless by the same individual. Whatever. No one walks any more and that's all there is to it, really.

Anyway. We need to move on and we need to do so very quickly. England probably need only another 40-50 runs to have the game in the bag unless Clarke can produce something truly exceptional.