View Single Post
Old July 13 2013, 07:39 AM   #27
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Vorik the Ponfarr Vulcan

Search for Spock.

DAVID: This planet is ageing in surges.
SAAVIK: And Spock with it. It seems they're joined together.
DAVID: They are.
SAAVIK: How long?
DAVID: Days, ...maybe hours. I'm sorry.
SAAVIK: It will be hardest on Spock. Soon he will feel the burning of his Vulcan blood.
DAVID: But, I don't understand.
SAAVIK: Pon farr. Vulcan males must endure it every seven years of their adult life.
(David's tricorder bleeps)
DAVID: Whoever they are, they're getting closer.
SAAVIK: I'll go.
DAVID: No! ...I'll do it. Give me your phaser.
imdb listing for search for spock

Carl Steven ... Spock...Age 9
Vadia Potenza ... Spock...Age 13
Stephen Manley ... Spock...Age 17
Joe W. Davis ... Spock...Age 25
I'm assuming that those "ages" were taken from script direction, or a casting sheet, or the cast list at the end of the movie as the credits rolled.

Saavik shtupped Vadia, Stephen and Joe.

From Amok Time...

SPOCK: By our parents' arrangement. A ceremony while we were but seven years of age. Less than a marriage but more than a betrothal. One touches the other in order to feel each other's thoughts. In this way our minds were locked together, so that at the proper time, we would both be drawn to Koon-ut-kal-if-fee.
(A jingling sound gets louder, and Spock strikes the gong again. Two men enter shaking contraptions with lots of bells, followed by a woman carried on a chair. T'Pring and others come behind her.)
The artificial telepathic link that draws husbands and wives together is separate but associated with pon far. In the movie Spock didn't have training, hell... Spock didn't even have language. Pon far is something uncontrollable that happens no matter what. Betrothal/telepathicbondage is a process designed to civilly cut down on the massrape and body count.

There's also this...

SPOCK: The birds and the bees are not Vulcans, Captain. If they were, if any creature as proudly logical as us were to have their logic ripped from them as this time does to us. How do Vulcans choose their mates? Haven't you wondered?
KIRK: I guess the rest of us assume that it's done quite logically.
SPOCK: No. No. It is not. We shield it with ritual and customs shrouded in antiquity. You humans have no conception. It strips our minds from us. It brings a madness which rips away our veneer of civilisation. It is the pon farr. The time of mating. There are precedents in nature, Captain. The giant eelbirds of Regulus Five, once each eleven years they must return to the caverns where they hatched. On your Earth, the salmon. They must return to that one stream where they were born, to spawn or die in trying.
In all honesty it's been 20 years since i last saw Amok time... NO! I borrowed the dvds for a marathon ten years ago. Still, what's a decade between friends?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote