View Single Post
Old July 13 2013, 03:30 AM   #14
Red_Panda
Ensign

Re: Vorik the Ponfarr Vulcan

I think (from what I've read on this forum) is that one's opinion of Vorik is shaped by viewing he handled the situation with respect to (1) he personal needs or (2) how the result appeared to others.

Without the context of Vulcan pon farr and what that really entails, it's true that Vorik looked like he wanted to rape B'Elanna for rejecting his seemingly random proposal. That is going to cause friction with anyone.

However, Vorik's situation was a hormonal imbalance. He was not aware/completely in control of his actions. Obviously he respected and was attracted to B'Elanna (though I personally wished he would've chosen otherwise) and did not even know he melded/put her life in danger until Tuvok came in. Also, among Vulcans, he wasn't acting like a crazy raper-villain. He: (1) carefully chose who he cared about legitimately, (2)got to know her via work and the luau (made reservations for table for 2 mind you), (3) asked for her hand in marriage instead of a casual hook-up. On Vulcan, marriages are somewhat calculated based on compatibility. There isn't really a heavy courting period at all before a marriage (as it is assumed to occur later). The point I'm trying to make here is that with a compromised mindset he acted as honorable towards a delicate situation as he knew how. Just because that grates against human customs doesn't make him a bad guy.

I think accusing Vorik of being a villain is anthropomorphizing an him in an improper way.
Red_Panda is offline   Reply With Quote