View Single Post
Old July 12 2013, 10:45 PM   #52
Christopher
Writer

Re: Changing the status quo - Good or Bad?

Mysterion wrote: View Post
I've seen you wite this sentiment before, and I don't think this is at all true. Isn't that like saying the only stories you could do with Star Trek would be about exploration or traveling somewhere? Obviously, not all Trek stories have been that.

Just because a story is set in the Star Wars universe does not require it to be a war story. Off the top of my head, you've got Spinter of the Mind's Eye, the Lando Calrissian novels, and any number of short stories that have been published that were not stories about the rebellion. Sure, it was there in the background, but the stories themselves were not "war stories" per se.
Individual stories, sure, but the topic here is the overall saga, the main historical arcs. In Trek, even series that aren't about space travel per se, like DS9 and Vanguard, still have starships and long journeys and exploration included in them, and they fit into the larger narrative of Starfleet and the Federation spreading outward to explore or make new alliances. What was stated above was that all the major story/historical arcs in the EU seem to be one war after another, and I'm just saying that when something is called Star Wars, I can kind of see why that would be the case. Not that it has to be that way, but it could help explain why so many creators keep returning to the same wells.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote