View Single Post
Old July 12 2013, 08:37 PM   #2776
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
It wasn't released country-wide the way STID was, IIRC. I think it was just one city, Hong Kong, which was counted just as Hong Kong, not China. I'd have to check on it again.
No, Hong Kong is counted as a separate release to China. Star Trek made $1.282 million in Hong Kong, separate from the $8.5 million it made in China. Star Trek didn't get as big a release in China as STID did. That's true. But it was released there. The Chinese market has dramatically expanded for Hollywood films since then.
Okay, so I looked it up and yes, there's the 8.5 mil, but I also read that the film wasn't "distributed" in China, and that's why the number is so small. So, I'm not sure if that means that the 8.5 is from sampling the film there or what, just that it didn't have a country-wide release the way STID did.

I guess the point is that if you allow the movie to be seen by more people, then of course it's going to make more money there. Considering the domestic numbers, it's like I said, thank goodness for the country-wide release in China.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote