View Single Post
Old July 12 2013, 07:56 PM   #297
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post

'Actions' can easily be put in the place of 'views' - with no change whatsoever in my point. The actions of a person reflect his/her views; this is true about artists, as well.
Actions are motivated by views. But that doesn't mean views are the same as actions and you can switch them out interchangeably.

When you are actively participating in trying to stop people from getting equal rights, that's crossing a line for me.

I'll put it this way: would you be friends with a member of the KKK? If you were only friends with people who agreed with you 100% you wouldn't have a lot of friends, would you? OR... would you? I have a lot of friends... I don't agree with them on 100% of things... Like there are artists who I am SURE I don't agree with 100% of the time. But, this isn't about agreement or disagreement....

This is about a man who was ACTIVELY campaigning to stop people from having equal rights because of who they fall in love with. I see no problem, morally, ethically, whatsoever in NOT seeing the movie, or buying another one of his books. And I don't think I'm hypocritical.

And no, I don't think the organization that Card is a board member is all that different than the KKK. Both are organizations trying to prevent equal rights for minorities.