View Single Post
Old July 11 2013, 09:01 PM   #174
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Let's Discuss the Romulan Bird of Prey!

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
Right, but the range limit appears to be very far.
But evidently not as far as phaser range, which gives us a good upper limit. If "Emergency warp" is anything like the "better than warp seven" the Klingons were using in "Elaan of Troyus," that might be something like one and a half light minutes, or about one-sixth of an AU. If the neutral zone really is built around the Rom-system's asteroid belt, the plasma weapon wouldn't even be able to cross the zone itself before dissipating into a pink hot fart.

There is a star in the square that the Enterprise/Romulan are in when they encounter the comet. That could be the source of the comet's tail and also the gravity well/warp slow down.
If that were the case, though, the entire battle should have taken place in the vicinity of that one star and they wouldn't have had enough time to leave its effective zone. They'd be nowhere NEAR the neutral zone by the time Enterprise caught up to them.

It's only a few AU if we're talking the "single star model" so I would think their sensor technology should be much better than that.
From a few AU they could DETECT something there, but that doesn't mean they could analyze it in detail.

I think it's a bit more muddled than that. Enterprise lost contact with Outpost 2, then an hour later Outpost 3 went silent. According to the dialogue, 2 went silent first. But somewhere along the line, Hansen on Outpost 4 found out that 8 also was destroyed. There doesn't seem to be enough time for that Romulan ship to get up to blast 8 after getting 2 and 3 before getting 4. But 8 couldn't have been the first one to get destroyed because 2 is the first one we're told that they lost contact with.
That's why I'm thinking that outpost eight had gone off the air several days earlier and that Enterprise was ordered to the sector in the first place to investigate. Outpost Two suddenly stopped transmitting before they arrived, which was worrying; outpost three ALSO dropped out, which was extremely worrying.

They didn't mention outpost eight at this point because it was old news, a week-old mystery they had already discussed before they even got here. Afterwards, though, they might go back and ask the same question I'm asking now: why would the Romulans have hit #8 at all?

A few episodes earlier in "The Deadly Years" we know the Romulans had broken "Code 2" communications. It wouldn't be hard to imagine that they got their intel on the Enterprise and Kirk from that episode. The spying of course still could happen but that would probably come from the merchant ships crossing the zone to pick Romulan Ale
WHAT merchant ships? Nobody knows what the Romulans look like right now remember? They're evidently in isolation at the moment or else Starfleet intelligence would have figured out years ago that Romulans bear an uncanny resemblance to Vulcans.