View Single Post
Old July 11 2013, 08:21 PM   #4516
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Franklin wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
I've read that fans of the book don't really like the movie, while it had an appeal to mainstream movie goers. Maybe that affected the box office.
I don't know much about it but does WWZ actually have enough fans to make a real difference in the box office? Positive or negative.
I don't know much either, but according to Publishers Weekly, the WWZ book sold over one million copies, as of 2011. His previous book about zombies sold 1.4 million. I guess that's still a lot these days. Good enough to rate a movie, obviously.

The other thing is, I think the movie is actually doing better than expected. The Hollywood Reporter says they'll likely be a sequel. Link to story, below.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-sights-573814
Well, to be fair, the book is an anthology of short stories which are loosely connected by the thread of the zombie apocalypse. Such a structure would never work for a tentpole summer blockbuster. That being said, WWZ the movie did bear little resemblance to the world or fictional events portrayed in the book. It was a decent movie in its own right, though. I really liked the 'solution' to the zombie threat. It felt fresh and new, which is an achievement for the zombie genre.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote