As some of you know, the kids and I are spending the summer watching all the TOS re-mastered episodes on Netflixs. This is the first time that the kids have watched the episodes, and it's the first time in 25 years that I've re-watched many of the episodes. Here are a few things that have struck me:
(1) The lighting choices made in many of the episodes are wonderful - I didn't realize how vibrant the sets looked until I watched the re-mastered episodes.
(2) Compared to the "big three" of the television show (Kirk, Spock, McCoy), the big four of the movies (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Uhura) just doesn't work for me.
(3) Zachery Quinto does a nice job as Spock, but he can't hold a candle to Leonard Nimoy. Perhaps not that original of an observation, but I'm blown away by Nimoy's portray of Spock.
(4) I like the new special effects - I'm as nostalgic as the next Trekkie, but the old special effects have simply not aged well.
(5) Nichols is not a good actress.
Just some thoughts on a rainy morning in Virginia.