League of Extraordinary Gentlemen gets pilot order at Fox

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

She only gets hired on so many shows because her shows keep getting cancelled, freeing her up to be hired on other shows. ;)

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Also she gets hired on genre shows which have a higher rate of cancellation :p

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was entertaining a crazy notion of whether they could transplant the concept to a modern setting. I am not aware of any period settings on network television.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Next year there will be Dracula on NBC, starring Jonathan Rhys-Meyers (formerly of The Tudors).

And while there is a modern-day League, I'm unclear if the rights to that is included in what FOX bought years ago or if those rights are still with Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill. For that matter, if I were a television network, I wouldn't touch the modern League with a bargepole because it's a hotbed of copyright infringement that would be impossible to clear.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And there are many, many actors you could say the exact same thing about. Most shows get cancelled. That is the norm, not the exception. There are far, far more short-lived TV series than long-lived ones. So any actor who's working steadily and prominent enough to be cast in lead or recurring roles is likely to go through a number of short-lived series.

The only reason Summer Glau gets noticed for this is because she gets noticed, period -- because she's a striking and memorable performer and people pay more attention to her career than they pay to a lot of other actors who've had very similar career arcs.

6. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I really hope this is done as a period piece. It will hardly be worth it otherwise.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was thinking without Moore's writing or the movie's budget if it justified the effort. I believe Moore's later volumes were set in later time periods as well. I guess it would depend on whether the showrunners were interested and invested in that setting.

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I know. But you could detect my tone of jest, surely? I wasn't actually arguing with your point.

10. Christopher

^It's hard to tell over the Internet. There are people out there who seem to sincerely believe this myth.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, he moved forward in time with each volume. One of the more recent ones took place in the 1960s and the 2000s.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Isn't PBS always showing low budget period piece shows? It doesn't seem that hard to do a show during that era.

Whether that kind of show with will attract an audience is another matter entirely!

13. Christopher

I think those are usually imports from England.

Isn't The CW doing a spinoff of The Vampire Diaries that's set entirely in the past?

14. RJDiogenes

^^ No, that will be set in contemporary New Orleans, although they do seem to be going for a retro atmosphere.

But he uses different characters in different eras.

It probably wouldn't, unfortunately, but I like those period pieces.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

My apologies then. It wasn't my intent to annoy anyone, just having a laugh. :)

16. Nerys Myk

Some of the characters are immortal or long lived, so they show up in many eras. Mina, Alan and Orlando have been in almost every volume.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the success or failure of NBC's Dracula will impact the chances of seeing this go to series? It is kind of similar, they are both Victorian England fantasies.

18. RJDiogenes

True, and that would be fine. I just wouldn't want to see a Sherlock-like update.

19. Nerys Myk

That would kind of defeat the purpose, as the concept is literary characters teaming up. That can be used in different eras, as Moore has done. I can see them doing a Once Upon A Time and having parallel plotlines set in different eras, with the "immortals" appearing in both.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just read about the modern story on Wikipedia........ and I guess Moore isn't a Harry Potter fan.