Thread: The Ashes 2013
View Single Post
Old July 11 2013, 01:52 PM   #12
Botany Bay
Commodore

Re: The Ashes 2013

We can thank Steve Finn for that. After a reverse swing masterclass from Anderson (who I am thinking is one of the all time greats) and a typically damaging display from Swann reduced us to 9-117, on came Finn bowling one of the worst spells of test bowling I have ever seen - there wouldn't have been a ball pitched in the batsman's half for three overs, and, unfathomably, Cook allowed it to continue while Hughes and Agar helped themselves to a feast of square cuts and grew suddenly confident.

Before you knew it, Agar (who is no number 11, obviously) was belting the bowling to all parts, and found himself the first #11 in the history of the game to score a fifty on debut.

Get to your TV's guys - we could be witnessing one of the most famous partnerships in Ashes history here, if Australia win it.

This has been one of the great tests - seriously how many twists and turns have there been? An hour ago I would have written us off for this game, but all of a sudden we have a lead.

If I were an England fan, I'd be a bit worried about your captain : what was he doing out there?

This has been an extraordinary game. I'm a bit concerned what Cook and Trott will do to us on this wicket this afternoon, but, if somehow Hughes and Agar can continue batting with freedom for another hour, we might be in business here.

Lunch Day 2 : AUS 2/229; Agar 69, Hughes 63; lead by 14.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote