View Single Post
Old July 10 2013, 11:40 PM   #18
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: Federation Versus The Romulan Empire

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
However I think the Romulans are more in to posturing and saber rattling instead of instigating an actual conflict.
I don't agree with this at all. If anything, I'd say the Romulans spend less time posturing than most of their rivals, as it's always been their preference to sit back and observe for weaknesses.

AllStarEntprise wrote:
Sort of like North Korea today.
Not appropriate.

AllStarEntprise wrote:
They have the technology, and manpower but no one is serious enough to pull the trigger on a war.
Not sure how you're arriving at this conclusion given that the Romulans were more than willing to wage war against Earth and attack several Federation outposts in the twenty third century. Granted, government and military philosophies can change over time, but to say that the Romulans aren't willing to fight isn't true.

AllStarEntprise wrote:
It's like they intended to rule Earth and the Federation worlds not kill them all. Makes you wonder what they were thinking when they first supported the coup. You would think casualties in the millions would be implied by the very notion of interstellar war.
Casualties, yes. Genocide, no. There's a difference between defeating an opponent and annihilating them. Donatra, Suran, and others weren't willing to participate in the eradication of humanity because doing so would have been dishonorable. It has nothing to do with casualty projections. It's about not taking an action that would mark the Romulan Empire as a pariah government.

I must say that I'm a little bothered by your seeming disregard for even the implied loss of life in a scenario like this. Why do you believe that it's acceptable to commit genocide simply because it accomplishes a military objective? What's your justification for such an action?

--Sran