View Single Post
Old July 10 2013, 09:14 PM   #436
RangerH
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Ithekro wrote: View Post
Most companies today release subtitled anime or subtitled anime with their dubbed track. Aside from older anime, ever since DVDs came about I've seen English dubde anime that still retains a subtitled track in Japanese. At that was from the 1990s. Well and I suppose heavily altered anime from an old property (Transformers).

Maybe something changed in the market, but I've not bought a American DVD released anime for five or six years (Galaxy Railways and Full Metal Panic were the last new anime I purchased locally).
well, the ease with witch subtitled anime is freely available on the internet pretty much doomed the North American Anime of DVD market (not judging, just stating what I've seen talked about as to why many of the NA companies and distributors - some Japanese backed; effectively called it quits in the U.S.)

Funimation survives by licensing stuff to the Cartoon Network; and has an Anime channel on some cable providers; but there's really not a lot of Anime on the market per se compared to the late 1990ies - 2005 or so in the U.S. Those that want it know how/where to get it for free, and there's not a lot of more mainstream appeal to support companies trying to bring it direct to DVD/Blu-Ray in the U.S. these days.

There are a few others that survive too. The big problem was the fact that the fans wanted it right now, not 2 yrs from now. So the internet as you said did a lot of harm to the industry for selling DVD's. In the last few yrs, the companies are trying to get the licenses for the first run series as they air so that they can release them, or stream them before the yr is out, or simulcast them. The internet has woken a lot of companies up to say lets also put it on the internet since their is an overseas market, and we can effectively put the pirating of the shows on a very short leash. So far it has worked for a few of the popular series but fansubbers are still out there doing their own sub when there is an official sub.

As with SBY2199, if whoever licenses it in the US, they should know what to do so that it can be put on the air. Cartoon Network's toonami on Adult Swim is the only logical place to air it. Otherwise it will only be either streamed (Neonalley) or put on a channel like Funimation channel which is only in a few cable markets.

Last edited by RangerH; July 10 2013 at 09:33 PM.
RangerH is offline   Reply With Quote