View Single Post
Old July 10 2013, 08:23 PM   #93
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: TNG re-released on DVD

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
The figures seem to show BD is gaining ground, or maybe just DVD continues to erode. Here in the US, when they advertise a new movie, they usually say "get it on BD or DVD" w/ BD announced first. However, the news media still have their "DVD review" or "release" sections, where they don't even mention BD. Anecdotally, very few people I know have a BD player, nor do they care. I don't even bother to proselytize any more.

from wikipedia on Blu-ray
A study by The NPD Group found that awareness of Blu-ray Disc had reached 60% of U.S. households. Nielsen VideoScan sales numbers showed that for some titles, such as 20th Century Fox's Hitman, up to 14% of total disc sales were from Blu-ray, although the average Blu-ray sales for the first half of the year were only around 5%. In December 2008, the Blu-ray Disc version of The Dark Knight sold 600,000 copies on the first day of its launch in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.[51] A week after the launch, The Dark Knight BD had sold over 1.7 million copies worldwide, making it the first Blu-ray Disc title to sell over a million copies in the first week of release.[52]
Yes I know some people who have Verizon FiOS and have a 55" HDTV and only a DVD player. They watch stuff on DVR in HD or on-demand HD video or Hulu/Netflix streaming in HD. They don't care about Blu-ray but they also do not have a library that they collect or rewatch films.
I have a blu-ray player and only a 720p native 32" HDTV. It is older and having some green LCD issues. I will eventually replace it and be able to see blu-rays on a larger screen in full 1080p.

CBS Home video knows it is their last chance to release Trek TV on Blu-ray in the next 5-10 years.
With shows like Save Me & Untitled Michael J. Fox series being shot and mastered in 4k right now and Breaking Bad being remastered from 35mm to 4k right now there is a very short window on new releases to DVD after 2016.

CBS Home video is getting ENT and TNG out the door on Blu-ray. I can see them doing DS9 and VOY too to make the $ before blu-ray disappears as a physical format to sell the franchise products.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote