View Single Post
Old July 10 2013, 09:59 AM   #46
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Mulgrew so awful to Jeri Ryan she had to date Braga for protection

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Brit wrote: View Post
I am not particularly a big fan of Mulgrew, Beltran or Ryan. I draw a line between the actor and the character. I love Voyager's characters, not so much the actors.
Judging from interviews alone, since I have not met them in person (YET!)...

I love Kate Mulgrew. I love her voice, her personality, and her humor. I've seen enough footage and heard enough interviews with her to make some sort of assessment and I just relate most to her. My favorite actor on the show to watch outside of Voyager would be Robert Picardo...however I love Kate. She didn't grow up in Hollywood, had a rather simple life before Voyager, and I think she probably tried pretty damn hard to get where she is.

I like Jeri Ryan and think she was kick ass as Seven, but something about her seems faker to me than Kate. However, I haven't seen as much footage with her, so forgive me if that seems like a premature assessment. Then there's that weird stuff with Jack Ryan about the sex clubs...and dating the show's producer RIGHT after. It's a little bit off-putting of her to expect everyone to just be fine with her dating the show's producer. Then she had to rub it in that she was treated better after? Also I am not a Republican, so we differ in that respect too. :P
I'm uncomfortable with judging celebrities on how they come across from a patchwork of impressions. Now sure, sometimes a celebrity is know far and wide for kindness or nastiness, but otherwise I'm going to assume most are the usual mix of good and bad stuff we all are.

When I saw Jeri Ryan (god I seem to be crapping on about seeing people too much here.. we have LOTS of conventions in this city, some as cheap as 25 bucks, I could literally see Star Trek actors at 6 cons this year.. ) she was quite self contained, some would say aloof, and quiet. Direct contrast to Mulgrew who is on stage as a performer and obviously loves every minute of it. I certainly didn't think Jeri was at all fake, she was just not particularly extroverted. I know she didn't do cons for a long time because of the stalker, so maybe she's never quite relaxed since. I got to effusively thank her for 7 during the autographs and she seemed genuinely pleased with what I said.. 7 is my favorite character and I am thankful that Jeri portrayed her so wonderfully and put so much into it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote