View Single Post
Old July 10 2013, 01:42 AM   #42
Locutus of Bored
The Droid You're Looking For

Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

DalekJim wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post
I remember when Noam Chomsky wrote a forward (afterward?) to a book by an author who claimed the holocaust did not happen. Chomsky's belief was that if this book was censored because of people's outrage than our society would be no better off than Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia. Hitler and Stalin, he says, were in favor of free speech as long as they agreed with it.
I remember the late, great Christopher Hitchens doing something similar by defending David Irving's right to publish holocaust denial books.
And I remember Locutus saying "What does this have to do with anything anyone is saying in the boycott or the thread, because no one is calling for his book, movie, or other writings to be made illegal?" People just think Card is an anus tart, not that he should be silenced by the government.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote