View Single Post
Old July 10 2013, 01:34 AM   #40
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

theenglish wrote: View Post
I am reminded of Fahrenheit 451. Books became illegal not because of an evil dictator but because they offended people. Part of living in a democracy means that we are all entitled to our opinions and are free to express them.
You do realize that the people calling for the boycott are also entitled to their opinions and free to express them, right? It's a two-way street, and doesn't become censorship just because you agree with one side more than the other.

Also, no one has called for the government to outlaw his books or even his hateful online and magazine writing, so the comparison to the mass censorship of Fahrenheit 451 kind of falls flat.

That said, anyone is free to purchase a ticket or not but I hope the boycott does not turn into something similar to the Westboro church's protests. To anyone planning to demonstrate outside theaters, I would urge you to hold your personal integrity and conduct high. Reducing yourself to shouting slurs and insults puts you on an even plane with those your are protesting against.
Because pro-gay rights supporters typically use the kind of rhetoric and tactics that Westboro does? I don't recall a lot of gay protests at the funerals of straight people or signs that say "God Hates Breeders," so what exactly is your basis for assuming that this might be an issue?

Scott has called for violent revolution against the government if it legalizes gay marriage nationwide and has advocated for the continuation of laws that put homosexuals in jail just for having sex with their loved ones. In what fairytale land have gays in large numbers advocated for anything that makes them even remotely on par with that type of hateful rhetoric?

"Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn."

http://www.examiner.com/article/shou...r-gay-marriage

"Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society's regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society."

http://atheism.about.com/b/2004/01/0...l-behavior.htm
You want to go see the movie? Fine. You don't agree with the boycott? Fine. But don't for a moment suggest that the two sides are even close to being just as bad as the other, because that's high order bullshit.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote