View Single Post
Old July 9 2013, 11:21 AM   #328
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
I'm sure that religion could be done in such a way that it didn't lead to abuse, but that isn't happening anytime soon. Really the closest would be if Christians actually did what Jesus told them to do and help the poor and love everyone like they love themselves. But they rather try to control the lives of everyone around them. They're really lucky it's a myth, I doubt a single one would actually make it to Heaven. Heaven would only be Jesus, Old Yeller and Mr. Rogers.
The problem is that everything can be abused. Religion is only one way to control the masses. The Nazis created their own form of religion, based on a false understanding of genetics, long-existing prejudice und general dissatisfaction in the population. For the "average" suicide bomber in the Middle East, faith is just the tip of the iceberg to make the last step. They blow themselves up because of hatred against their enemies, that's the root of their devotion. Muhammad Atta & Co were well educated people, and they probably didn't believe in the 72 virgins fairy tale one bit. They believed in their mission, and that's already enough.

Deckerd wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Are we done talking besides the point?
This is what you said to start this.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
A person is inherently good or bad.
So if it's off point, show me where?
It's a simplified statement, meaning if someone is ready to kill for his God, he would also be ready to kill without religious influence; if someone takes care for elderly in the name of God, he would also take care of them without religious influence.

If you don't think actions like murder can be labeled bad and actions like taking care of others can be labeled good, well then so be it. It doesn't matter that these terms are subjective. It is - again - besides the point, which is that blaming religion for everything is wrong.

We are of course running in circles now, as I've been saying the same thing over and over again to you.

Last edited by JarodRussell; July 9 2013 at 11:50 AM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote