Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Well that was when Superheroes were *gasp* good and moral
And written for children

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Now everyone has to be troubled and conflicted
Because they're no longer written for children

RandyS wrote: View Post
A trend that I hope and pray comes to an end SOON. I miss the days when we got stories about people who were heroes, plain and simple.
Well, I've got some bad news for you.....that's not going to be happening. This..."trend"....has been going on since the mid to late 60's, or about half the time super hero comics have existed. So....yeah....

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
It's how comics operated mostly during the Golden and Silver Age, but now in the books and movies depth and exploration of the character is necessary.
Yep, it's how comics operated when they were written for children, but depth and exploration of the character is necessary because the comics buying audience is now 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% adult for whom those types of stories just don't work.

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
But that's the thing. Superman is an ideal. That's how he was presented from the beginning.
Superman in the beginning was presented as an ass kicking brawler who was out to battle the corrupt status quo. A status quo made up of and maintained by corrupt politicians, slumlords, and greedy businessmen. He wasn't a boy scout and he wasn't "safe". The more popular the character got, the more sanitized he became.