View Single Post
Old July 9 2013, 05:29 AM   #1131
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
How do you humanize and "flesh out" an ideal that's in stark contrast to Batman and all the other dark and conflicted bunch of superheroes?
They did it quite well with Cain and Cavill. They each fleshed out and humanized Superman, giving him a real personality with quirks, all without giving up the upstanding image we expect from the character. A good balance was struck.

What's wrong with being a hero?
Nothing, but real heroes aren't ideals and it's nice to see that reflected in entertainment.

Taking it as a given that Superman I and II were much better than III and IV…
I didn't find Superman III to be as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Sure, it had some extra camp and silliness, but it wasn't a bad movie overall. I think IV was the real stinker.

…and judging from the first two movies alone, the "boy scoutness" of Superman's character and those too good to be true lines of his are precisely why I think Reeve was so outstanding in the part and casts such a long shadow. Very few actors could deliver those boy scout lines and not seem a fool or without sacrificing masculinity. Reeve was ridiculously handsome, no doubt, but he never had that namby pamby teen heart throb quality. Masculine in the purest sense.
True about the teen heart throb bit. And I don't think Reeve was bad, I'm just not entirely comforable with his version of Superman right now.

Also, I was spoiled by the Richard Donner cut of Superman II that had the Brando scenes. When Kal-El is telling ghost Jor El in the fortress that he's willing to give up saving humanity for Lois, he isn't exuding boy scout altruism in that scene. He asks, "Haven't I given enough?" He's tired at that point and wants what "everyone else has."
True again and I thought of that even as I made my earlier post but my feeling on the matter still stands. Hell, even that scene, despite trying to humanize the character, still fell flat. It felt more like grandstanding than a real moment.

I wish the Salkinds hadn't pushed Donner out because they were so keen to cut Brando and his salary out of Superman II. The finished film by Lester was very good, but the Donner cut is better. It's a shame. Reeve and Brando together were great, even if Jor El wasn't in the fortress of solitude in the flesh.
I saw the Donner cut for the first time a few days ago and was disappointed. I prefer the original cut. I talk more about that in this thread.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote