View Single Post
Old July 9 2013, 02:11 AM   #310
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: Scotty and his military comment

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Because it's a non-military organization that is expected to fight the Borg. Duh.
Heads I win, tails you lose ?

It's more common than you think.
The point is that even the person whose arguments you're supposed to be strawmanning is entertaining your suggestion. In that case it isn't a strawman.

We have no evidence of the Xindi or the Suliban either, but I don't see you claiming they've both gone extinct.
I have made no claim either way about these, so you cannot use that as an argument in this debate.

The evidence could be interpreted many different ways, but Picard's statement cannot, and really, neither can Scott.
Witnesse testimony is actually more reliable than hard evidence to you ?

Not to the Japanese it isn't.
Reality trumps opinion.

The difference is their PURPOSE.
In other words your use of pictures as evidence was a red herring. I was wondering that the pictures were supposed to show, but it sure seems like the answer to that question is "nothing".

It was designed first and foremost to explore space and seek out new civilizations for peaceful contact.
You don't know that. All you have is another statement by Picard that might or might not be all-inclusive.

Either way, Decker is asking the question, not making a declaration.
That's one of the weakest arguments you've made yet. So if you say "do you deny that the Earth revolves around the sun ?" it may mean that I don't believe that it does ?

Then you're perfectly aware as I am that the opposition of an invasion force would -- and in many cases DOES -- involve both the full force of the nation's regular military and anyone else who can carry a weapon, yes?
Ah... no. Having civilians fighting alongside trained military personel would just get more people killed on your side.