View Single Post
Old July 8 2013, 09:17 PM   #6709
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I'm glad it's making money. I'm not enthusiastic about the movie and felt it could've been better and made some odd decisions and such, but I'm interested in seeing where a sequel can go.
Yes, me too. And I think that has to be a big factor to take into account in any origin/ reboot/relaunch movie. When Superman Returns came out, I enjoyed it, but I was never all that keen to see where the Superman/Lois/Richard/Jason story went next. In fact, the more I thought about how much the kid would have aged by the time any sequel came out, the less interest I had in seeing how that story panned out. Whereas I'm looking forward to seeing what is ahead for the characters in this incarnation.

Speaking of SR, it occurred to me the other day that when it came out in 2006, it got its ass kicked at the box-office by that year's big Jerry Bruckheimer-produced/ Gore Verbinksi-directed/Johnny Depp-starring movie, the second Pirates of the Carribean outing (Dead Man's Chest? Can't remember). And by the third X-Men movie, The Last Stand. Well, this year's Bruckheimer/Verbinski/Depp effort, The Lone Ranger, has bombed at the box office, while the summer's X-Men spin-off, The Wolverine, has yet to be released. It will be interesting to see how it fares in relation to MOS and TLR. I would be surprised if The Wolverine did as badly as TLR or as well as MOS. This, I think, would give an exact opposite reading of the box office rankings for their 2006 equivalents (ie Superman will be first, where before he was last, the X-verse will be second again and the B-V-D movie will be last where once it was first).