View Single Post
Old July 8 2013, 08:57 PM   #276
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Scotty and his military comment

BillJ wrote: View Post
Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Never said it did. I've said that their relative lack of specialty in combat training reflects the fact that they are not a military organization. And even Riker called combat proficiency a "minor province" in a commander's duties, something which Star Trek has been remarkably consistent about.
That is also in the same episode as Picard's "we aren't the military".
In point of fact, it's the same SCENE.

I wonder how many starship commanders thought combat proficiency was a "minor province" during all those battles on Deep Space Nine?
All of them, I should think. It would definitely explain why they sustained the high losses that they did.

You seem to hinge everything on Picard's statement, yet he's been wrong before. I tend to think of his statement as his idealized vision of what Starfleet is.
Which still begs the question: what kind of organization IS Starfleet that two of its most prominent officers can believe that it isn't a military organization? How many soldiers in the history of warfare have ever said this or anything similar to it of their own armies?

Yesterday's Enterprise wrote:
Military log, Combat date 43625.2. While investigating an unusual radiation anomaly, the Enterprise has encountered what could almost be called a ghost from its own past, the Enterprise-C, the immediate predecessor to this battleship.
Is what Starfleet would look like IF it was a military. That may or may not be part of what Tasha Yar had in mind when she says to Castillo "Lot of changes, Lieutenant. Alot of changes."

In pictures:
This is a military.

This is not.

The difference is not as subtle as you might think. Most significantly, it is only the desperation of a war they are decisively loosing that prompts the formalization of Starfleet into a military organization. The DS9 fleet comes close, but not THAT case.

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; July 8 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote