View Single Post
Old July 8 2013, 08:21 PM   #273
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Scotty and his military comment

KGator wrote: View Post
Ummmm, the battle history of a military does not define whether they are a military or not.
Never said it did. I've said that their relative lack of specialty in combat training reflects the fact that they are not a military organization. And even Riker called combat proficiency a "minor province" in a commander's duties, something which Star Trek has been remarkably consistent about.

The US Coast Guard is tasked with defending US Soil in times of War.
So is the Chinese Coast Guard, despite the fact that it is not a military organization.

Here's something you need to realize. Any MILITARY can undertake police action.
I realize that. And here's the thing YOU need to realize: any NON military organization can participate in a war.

A common misconception is that the military cannot bear arms against US citizens without the declaration of martial law....
That's not a misconception, that's the Posse Commititus act that explicitly prohibits them from doing so except under very specific circumstances. By contrast, some other countries -- France, for example -- have explicitly military organizations that operate in a domestic law enforcement agency.

Asking if Starfleet is a military organization is like asking if the LAPD is a Gendarmerie. When a police captain says "The LAPD is not a military organization," you don't point at the SWAT team and say "Yes you are!"

Again, I don't seem to be conveying this properly. If the milkmen only engage in law enforcement they are not military.
Why not? Militaries do that too.

If they are used for state defense against external threats (aka invading other countries or repelling said invasions) then they are by DEFINITION an armed force of the state (aka MILITARY FORCE).
Why? Non-militaries do that too.

Again, a government can have a military force do whatever it feels appropriate.
Yes, and governments are free to define whether the people it sends to do those tasks are civilian organizations, uniformed government agencies, or sanctioned military organizations. Some governments -- Japan, for example -- avoid using a formal military organization altogether for historical and political reasons; I suspect the Federation has a similar reason for downplaying Starfleet's defense role as being merely one of a list of emergencies they are trained to handle.