View Single Post
Old July 8 2013, 07:00 PM   #264
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Scotty and his military comment

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
AR-558 was apparently something of a backwater where no other ground combat was taking place except for that one little sensor array.
But if that sensor array was that vital to Federation interests, why didn't they send the actual military in to defend it?

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but if you watch the various 23rd and 24th century shows you would realize that Starfleet is the Federation's military. In the very first Star Trek pitch, Robert April has "Naval Officer" right above his name.

The Siege of AR-558 wrote:
VARGAS: Take it easy? I would love to take it easy. Get me out of this vole hole and I promise you for the rest of my life all I'll do is take it easy! According to Starfleet regulations we're suppose to be rotated off the front lines after ninety days. Ninety days! We've been stuck on this rock for five months, Captain. Take it easy.
Starfleet has combat regulations just like every other military.

NOG: That soldier over there. You see his necklace? Those are Ketracel white tubes.
A soldier wearing a Starfleet comm badge.

WORF: The USS Veracruz has entered orbit. They are beaming down troop replacements and an engineering crew.
No one that we see beamed down was wearing anything other than Starfleet uniforms.