View Single Post
Old July 8 2013, 03:45 PM   #2681
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Unless there are one or more unexpected breakout hits for the rest of the summer that gross more than $225 million domestic, Star Trek Into Darkness looks to end up as the sixth highest grossing summer release in the domestic market behind Iron Man 3, Despicable Me 2, Man of Steel, Monsters University, and Fast & Furious 6. Its worldwide ranking will be at least one rung lower and possibly a few rungs lower depending on how things shake out.
It'll also be behind "Oz, The Great and Powerful" which made $234 million domestic and $491 worldwide.

All and all, a good take for STID. But let's be honest, isn't there something at bit unsatisfying about the domestic numbers? In April, I'd have bet a week's salary the movie would've at least matched the domestic total from ST09.

Still, the take of the two movies show a return to relevance for the franchise, and that's probably good enough. At this date, assuming the third movie is as well-received as the first two were, put my prediction for the domestic box office take of the third movie at $262 million. (Which will mean adjusting for inflation, people will point out the movie didn't really bring in as much as ST09. There always has to be a hitch in things.)