View Single Post
Old July 8 2013, 10:41 AM   #1713
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
A fast-paced ending doesn't make up for Arya and early Jaime chapters that are much worse than the Brienne stuff from Feast for telling us things we already know about the horrors of war
The point of the early Jaime chapters is not telling us about the horrors of war, it's the character development of Jaime. Brienne's AFFC stuff is a mix of that and Martin's view of war's aftermath.
Shurik wrote: View Post
I really liked ADWD chapters that were set in Westeros, except Dorne and Jon Conninghton. All the Essos chapters just kill whatever momentum the book develops. There's Quentyn, the single most pointless character in the books, even more than that idiot Kingsguard from AFFC. Aegon exists only because Martin has no idea how to bring Daenerys to Westeros, so Aegon does what Daenerys should've done a long time ago. I guess it's much easier to invent a new character (or "resurrect" in Aegon's and Connighton's case) than untie the Meereenese knot.
Aegon isn't a sudden invention. He's the "mummer's dragon" prophesied in A Clash of Kings when Dany visits the House of the Undying.

- Homer Simpson

Last edited by CaptainCanada; July 8 2013 at 10:54 AM.
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote