View Single Post
Old July 8 2013, 05:11 AM   #252
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: Scotty and his military comment

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
On the other hand, the Normandy SR-2 -- which is larger, more powerful and significantly better armed than the SR-1 -- is a civilian ship manufactured by Cerberus and carries a somewhat more advanced sensor suite on top of it. Commander Shepard can run the SR-2 under military discipline despite the fact that Cerberus is by no means an actual military; it's a nonprofit at best, a terrorist organization at worst.
Actually as of Mass Effect 3 the SR-2 is a part of the Systems Alliance Navy and as such is a military vessel.

But since you invited the comparison, what do you say we run with it? Have you noticed, yet, all of the less than subtle nuances in the Mass Effect universe -- the discipline and protocol of the crew, the emphasis in combat readiness, the absolute clarity in the ship's mission to protect Earth and her colonies at all costs, and most of all, the polished utilitarianism of the Normandy itself -
I'm really not seeing many differences between that and the TOS Starfleet I mean we are talking about an organization that basically that let's its personal glass entire planets under some circumstances, so I think that qualifies as at all costs.

Not to mention Kirk seemed to response to a lot of threats to his ship, various planets, the galaxy, and ect. by trying to shoot it with phasers.

Of course I don't know if the Enterprise was spartan or not based on the 60s aesthetic, but it didn't really seem as fancy and luxury linerish like the Enterprise-D.

Plus the Normandy in the Mass Effect games is a frigate that uses design elements from Human and Turian ships. We've never seen the inside of a regular human warship let alone a cruiser-class one which would be the Enterprise's actual counterpart there, so you can't say for sure if the Enterprise is spartan enough to qualify or not.

- all of which are so very UNLIKE Starfleet as depicted in any Trek production so far?
I don't know,again the TOS Enterprise didn't seem all decked out and fancy.

Also the NX-01 seemed pretty spartan. I mean it's been compared to a submarine interior.

If Starfleet were a formal military organization there would be no difference; Starfleet would be exactly like the Alliance Navy in almost every way, with exploration as part and parcel of their combat/patrol duties. That the differences exist AT ALL should tell us something.
I'm still not seeming many differences between how the two organizations operate.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote