View Single Post
Old July 6 2013, 04:16 PM   #9
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: Do brands like Dora, Dragonball and DoctorWho mark Hollywoods end?

From what I've seen, Spielberg and Lucas have been saying that Hollywood is spending more money on "mega-blockbusters," which is not the same thing as saying locations, actors, unions, etc. are becoming too expensive.

Spielberg said studios were increasingly putting money into “mega-budget” movies, causing a tectonic shift in the entertainment industry.
“You’re going to have to pay $25 to see the next ’Ironman.’ And you’re probably only going to have to pay $7 to see ’Lincoln,’” Spielberg said.
If anything, it seems that he's arguing it's special effects, rather than locations, actors, and unions that are causing these movies to be so expensive. It seems like he's saying the movies are expensive because Hollywood is willing to pay for a mega-blockbuster.

This seems to confirm that it's not the cost of making a movie, it's the cost of making the type of movie Hollywood thinks people will want to see.

You’re at the point right now where a studio would rather invest $250 million in one film for a real shot at the brass ring than make a whole bunch of really interesting, deeply personal — and even maybe historical — projects that may get lost in the shuffle because there’s only 24 hours [in the day].
The fact that he seems to believe that Hollywood could make "a whole bunch of really interesting, deeply personal — and even maybe historical — projects" instead of one $250 million movie seems to be contrary to your opinion that movies, themselves, are inherently more expensive.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson