View Single Post
Old July 6 2013, 04:11 PM   #2623
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
Irrespective of the original SW's influence, I'll go ahead and say that Empire is probably the best sci-fi movie ever made.
For me, films like 2001, Blade Runner, Forbidden Planet, Akira etc are all superior Sci-Fi. TESB is a liitle overrated and fawned over IMO, but is still a excellent movie nevertheless.
I agree with this. SW, as much as I love it (and I happen to be one of the people who like the prequels despite the fact that they're kind of crappy), is not science fiction, per se. It's a space opera that has no clue as to how science works.

Science fiction should be at least somewhat focussed on extrapolating the possible developments of science. As far as that goes, SW fails pretty badly. George Lucas has no clue about science. Like, at all.

As action flics set in space, following rules of physics particular to their own universe, they are very entertaining, and I love them.

However, as far as science fiction films go, there are vastly superior ones - like some film adaptations of Philip K. Dick stories.

Of course, YMMV.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote