View Single Post
Old July 5 2013, 09:44 PM   #104
1701TPA
Lieutenant

Re: The Prime Alternative

JJohnson wrote: View Post
FatherRob wrote: View Post
Very nice work... there is one technical issue I was wondering if you could address, and then I have two thoughts to share:

I personally find the fan blades too jarring. I prefer a clouded bussard... or the version found on Enterprise NX-01... gives the appearance of a reactive torrid as opposed to some big mechanical structure that seems to serve no useful purpose.

Those are my perspectives on this ship, which I find to be an amazing work of art. I'll be super excited to see the physical model.

Rob+
For the ramscoops, it'd be nice to see a bit of swirling gas in there while the spinning blades are in motion, giving the idea that they're drawing interstellar gas in, perhaps towards the center bulge there.

Thanks for your suggestions but I never liked of the whole bussard collector / ramscoop concept...

I believe it was Vektor that once wrote (and I agree 100% with the statement below)
“Originally the Bussard Collectors weren't Bussard Collectors at all. I'm familiar with the design lineage. I don't like the concept of bussard collectors for several reasons. Bussard conceived them as part of a ramscoop drive system that really isn't applicable to a Trek ship other than for fuel replenishment, and there are certain problems with that as well. I just don't think they make sense other than as a one-off plot device. Arguably, the nacelles on the TOS Enterprise and the TMP refit never had bussard collectors and that innovation didn't come into use until the TNG era, which is the explanation I prefer.”

“So, if they're not bussard collectors, what are they?
➢ matter/energy sinks work just fine for me.”

In any case, the TOS rotating fan blades / bands and or veins, have always struck us as mechanical, inside a physical Nacelle Dome… Which is the design path Ricky and I have followed for this ship!

I'm also not a big fan of the "swirling plasma" concept either. I kinda subscribe to the concept that the rotating fan (clockwise & counter clockwise) blades create magnetic fields that shape the warp bubble around the ship…. Just a thought

See some of Our Design Concepts: 1701 Prime Alternative
>http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=51475
1701TPA is offline   Reply With Quote