View Single Post
Old July 5 2013, 07:47 PM   #127
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek morality test - best and worst episodes

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
Ugh! The chair is not the issue.
You're the one who brought it up.

To be honest, I'm not sure what your issue is.

The sergeant was dismissed (a not so thorough psychiatric exam from Dr Spock, MD) because his lowly character served the narrative purpose of being the buffoon.
I'm not sure what you mean by "dismissed." And, while I think "buffoon" is hyperbole, yes, part of the character's purpose was to provide the audience a few chuckles at the poor guy's befuddlement at the bizarre situation he suddenly finds himself in. What's wrong with that?

The pilot, otoh, was accorded respect and honest...
I really don't get where you're seeing any disrespect for the sergeant. As for the honesty, do you mean because Christopher got shown around the ship and the sergeant didn't? If so, you may need to re-watch the episode. Kirk was showing Christopher around until Spock cautioned him about revealing future details to 20th-century people. After that, both Christopher and the sergeant were on a more or less "need to know" basis.

...out of respect for his military and social rank, which would contribute to his sons importance.
Is that your problem? The possibility that Christopher's son might have gotten his NASA position because of his pop's influence?