View Single Post
Old July 5 2013, 05:24 PM   #2600
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
it is quite clear that STiD underperformed at the USA box office. I do think the fan service and excessive homages turned a lot of people off.

If trek wants to be very successful again they need to go back to the formula they used in ST09.
The definition of "underperforming" today is absolutely ridiculous. As Bryan Singer said following the "disappointing" receipts for Superman Returns, "That movie made $400 million! I don’t know what constitutes under-performing these days..."

For the record, though, STID, which hasn't completed it's run yet, stands at $221.2 million domestic and $438.8 million total. That's pretty damn impressive. ST09, following its completed run, had $257.7 million domestic and $385.6 million total. IOW, the current movie has already beaten the overall worldwide total of ST09 by more than $50 million. And given the fact that there was such a long period without any Trek before ST09 and the anticipation was so high, I think the difference in the domestic totals for a sequel is quite reasonable, and the domestic box office still very successful.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote