View Single Post
Old July 5 2013, 03:35 AM   #1100
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

AvBaur wrote: View Post
^ Come on now, we're not talking about art films from the 60s & 70s here (and I'm 100% certain Film Crit Hulk has seen his fair share of those, as have I), but about a big, mainstream summer blockbuster. And as such, Man of Steel doesn't really work on a dramatic level.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things about the movie that are quite enjoyable and I actually mostly had a pretty good time with it while it was playing. But it didn't resonate for me beyond the surface level in the way the very best blockbuster movies do and I never really cared about the characters, and that's precisely because of all the things Hulk lists in the article.
I guess we have to disagree there. I really enjoyed the movie quite well and liked Kal-El's character arc quite a bit. Apart from that Kevin Costner was the only one of the supporting cast who really had any development.

But on the story side, it was quite refreshing to not get the same old story structure that we've had so many times before. You can make great movies without following the same formula.

I remember Ang Lee's Hulk as another movie that got a lot of similar criticism that I really enjoyed.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote