View Single Post
Old July 5 2013, 02:18 AM   #223
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: Scotty and his military comment

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Because "our exploration and scientific programs" is MOST OF THE FLEET.
Unsubstantiated opinion.

On the other hand, you seem so enamored with the idea that Starfleet represents a highly versatile military body that you are seizing on anything at all, no matter how insubstantial, that would suggest it is and then handwaving away anything that claims it isn't.
Don't you know it's bad form to turn someone's arguments around rather than address it ?

I don't care one way or another about the military status of Starfleet, but the evidence is that there is no other such organisation within the Federation, outside of the MACO from Enterprise, and therefore, with the rest of the evidence presented, I have no choice but accept that it is the truth, in-universe. That you see this as some sort of dogma when it's the polar opposite is sad, but I can't help you with that.

No, this is the "consider the source" card. Jean Luc Picard is the captain of Starfleet's newest, most powerful and most advanced ship. Admiral Cartwright is a desk jockey who gets caught trying to assassinate his own president.
First, I don't know why you're trying to pit one against the other since they lived in different eras, and the statements we're talking about weren't uttered by Cartwright. Second, they are both Starfleet officers, and I'd wager that the admiral has more experience and knowledge of the inner workings of Starfleet than a captain. You simply _agree_ with Picard, which doesn't make him right. Third, Picard isn't implying that Starfleet's only founding principle was finding new life; he was making a point about Data's status as such a life.