View Single Post
Old July 5 2013, 12:03 AM   #146
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
I was expecting that reaction, so does that make you a closed-minded person? Unwilling to even listen to another viewpoint? A prejudice against someone you know only by reputation prevents you from hearing what other people on the program have to say?

Penn Jillette is an unabashed atheist, but he is willing to sit and have a discussion with people he respects.
You mistake my unwillingness to listen to a known fraud, and purveyor of grand conspiracies, as unwillingness to listen to a different viewpoint. Glenn Beck is a conspiracy theorist, similar to the likes of Alex Jones. He doesn't have a factual bone in his body, and makes his living serving up paranoid delusions in exchange for advertising and merchandise money.

As for Penn Jillette, I am quite familiar with him, and I respect him. That doesn't mean I'm always going to agree with him, and if you know anything about Penn Jillette, you would know that's the way he prefers it.

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
You would have to include some Muslims in the group that believes in creationism, J Allen.
True, there are some Muslim groups who support Creationism like fundamentalist Christians do, but the Intelligent Design movement is helmed almost entirely by Christian groups. Still, you make a fair point.

SonOfMogh wrote: View Post
What I don't understand is why Creationism is even 'on the table' as far as adult discussions about the nature of the universe go?

There are plenty of possibilities and to be fair there's a lot more unknown currently than known, I just don't know why we can't just admit there are massive gaps in our knowledge that we one day hope to fill, instead of making something ridiculous up instead.

Don't get me wrong, if we really dig deep and in the future discover some supreme being created everything then great, if anything that's one of the more optimistic and interesting possibilities. But until there's a shred of evidence even hinting at this possibility, why not just shelve it along with other superstitions like walking under a ladder or the number 13.
There are religions that cannot abide by others not believing in their theology. It is in their doctrine that ALL must hear, and in the case of fundamentalist Christianity (and Islam), if the people won't hear it, then they will be forced to hear it, if it has to be crammed into every science classroom in America. The reason this is, is because science requires critical thinking, and fundamentalist religions cannot abide critical thinking. If you think critically, you've broken the spell, and you're no longer under the thumb of that particular religion's hierarchy of authority, and that just will not do. So replacing critical thinking with unquestioning acceptance is the goal. That is why they target the science class.

There is no real debate.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote