View Single Post
Old July 4 2013, 08:52 PM   #220
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Scotty and his military comment

Belz... wrote: View Post
Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
It isn't OPINION that nobody was proposing the decommissioning of starships; they weren't.
Yes, they were. The fucking CIC started to say something, along the lines of "well, our non-military stuff is probably going to be unaffected but--" and then was cut-off. Why would he say "but" to the first part, in response to her question, if he wasn't going to entertain the possibility ?
Because "our exploration and scientific programs" is MOST OF THE FLEET. The only thing he could have followed that with is the admission that Starfleet would need fewer ships patrolling the border.

I think you are so dead-set against the very idea that Starfleet represents, at least partly, the military arm of the Federation that you are unwilling to consider any evidence that it is.
It's obvious that Starfleet is responsible for the safety and security of the Federation and is called upon by the Federation to engage in combat when needed. It is equally obvious that it doesn't need to be a military organization to do so, and thus there is nothing strange about the fact that it is said not to be.

On the other hand, you seem so enamored with the idea that Starfleet represents a highly versatile military body that you are seizing on anything at all, no matter how insubstantial, that would suggest it is and then handwaving away anything that claims it isn't.

So you trust two officers you've never seen before, at least one of whom is later seen committing high treason... but you don't trust Jean Luc Picard?
Did you just try to play the argument from emotion card ? Who cares if it's Picard's opinion or not ?
No, this is the "consider the source" card. Jean Luc Picard is the captain of Starfleet's newest, most powerful and most advanced ship. Admiral Cartwright is a desk jockey who gets caught trying to assassinate his own president. Between the two of them, do you really have to ask whose opinion is more trustworthy?

I mean, that's like studying the Cuban Missile Crisis by interviewing Lee Harvey Oswald.