View Single Post
Old July 4 2013, 06:13 PM   #1095
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

I liked a lot of things about this movie - especially the Krypton backstory, the exploration of what it was like for Kent to grow up with a super-vision, super-hearing and super-strength and how this made things complicated, and the fact that they've gotten rid of the ridiculous "Lois can't tell Clark Kent is Superman" premise. I liked the way they waited until very late in the movie to use the word "Superman".

On the other hand, I didn't really buy that Clark would let hid dad die and the whole scene felt contrived to lead to Jonathan's death. Then there's the big Superman/Zod fight, which, as lots of people have pointed out, takes place in populated areas and would result in massive civilian casualties, but the movie doesn't even mention anything about that, as if nobody was in danger of dying until Zod tried specifically to kill those few people we saw. The Superman/Lois kiss and relationship talk felt shoehorned, they were attracted to each other and intrigued by each other, but there was nothing else to suggest they had reached that level yet. There's also a bit too much speechifying and declamatory lines, and too little wit. Maybe I just got spoiled by Marvel movies. Poor Henry Cavill in particular got some really clunky lines, especially near the end. "I'm from Kansas, I'm as American as you can get" and the cringeworthy Lois/Supes exchange after the kiss. Most of the few attempts at humor in the movie were pretty bad.

On the other hand, when Zod said "There is just one way this can end, either I'll kill you or you'll kill me (quote by memory), I wished for a moment that Supes would reply with the obvious and logical comeback: "Well, technically, those are two ways". But they set it up and squandered the opportunity.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote