View Single Post
Old July 4 2013, 05:09 PM   #212
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Scotty and his military comment

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
solariabsg25 wrote: View Post

Certainly the TOS Enterprise never had a specific diplomatic/first-contact team aboard, this was supposed to be carried out initially by the Captain, first and foremost, with weeks, perhaps even months, passing before a proper diplomatic team takes over. Kirk must be capable of delicate negotiations, which can be the difference between friendly relations, or having the new race start building warships to destroy the interlopers!
True,but we also saw Kirk frequently ferrying Federation diplomats around, with the idea that Ambassador So-and-So was going to do most of the heavy lifting when it came to negotiating treaties and such.
Treaties, of course. Mainly because treaties would have the force of law and an official diplomat would have a direct line to the Council which Kirk, as a line officer, might not have. Otherwise, anything that doesn't require the signing of an official legal document between the Federation and some other world, Kirk seems fully authorized to negotiate informal alliances.

If you'll indulge me a shameless plug, I actually play with a similar notion in an upcoming TOS novel. During a diplomatic mission, Kirk initially intends to let a visiting Federation commissioner handle the negotiations, but has to take over when it turns out that the aliens in question respect "explorers" more than "bureaucrats" and refuse to deal with anybody but Kirk . . . .
I'll forgive the plug if you hook me up a copy when it's published.